Part of the DaveNet Mail website. San Francisco CA USA. 11/11/96.

Let's Have Fun -- Now! THE ARROGANCE OF THE MAC

Sent:11/11/96; 8:13:01 PM
From: hls@uac.net

> Try substituting women for Windows users. Or Jew or Negro or Bosnian or Serb. > Let's get a life. >

One important distinction that has to be made: using Windows is a choice. It may be an informed choice, a good choice, oa choice made purely based on the market numbers, or a choice dictated to you by your chosen profession, but a choice nonetheless.

Being a Jew, a "Negro" (now talk about a word I haven't heard in a long time!) a woman, or even Dave Winer is something thrust upon you. It's what you are and you can do nothing about it.

The comparison is a bit awkward since it is completely unfair to criticize someone for something they can't control. On the other hand, choosing a tool based exclusively on any criteria besides what works best for you/your use is foolish (IMHO of course).

Not to say that there aren't people for whom a Windows machine is the best choice. But I've seen too many friends and colleagues buy Windows machine based purely on market forces when in most cases a Mac would have been a much better choice (which they tell me everytime they call me for help).

And remember that nobody ever died for liking one platform over the other.

But I agree, we all need to get a life. Maybe next Tuesday :)

Let's Have Fun -- Now!

This page was last built on Sat, Dec 14, 1996 at 8:02:38 AM. The messages in this site are responses to DaveNet essays.