Part of the DaveNet Mail website. San Francisco CA USA. 11/13/96.

Let's Have Fun -- Now! MORE INFO ON BBS PROBLEM

Sent:11/13/96; 10:42:20 AM
From: r1560c@email.sps.mot.com (Ben Kimball)

In my opinion, :-) means "I want you to treat the preceding sentence (or word, or maybe just language) as if I'd spoken it with a little smirk on my face, instead of treating it as a written word." It's a explicit indicator of wryness. It and other smileys are one of the main things that make internet communication as smooth as it is, I think; they let the author break his readers of out of the perception of his work as a written medium. It's more personal. Of course, my perceptions may be a little skewed; my very first exposure to the internet was with IRC and other telnet chat "havens". Fun!

Let's Have Fun -- Now!

This page was last built on Sat, Dec 14, 1996 at 8:03:52 AM. The messages in this site are responses to DaveNet essays.