Part of the DaveNet Mail website. San Francisco CA USA. 11/13/96.

Let's Have Fun -- Now! RE: WHAT IS POWER?

Sent:11/13/96; 8:32:29 PM
From: wesf@mail.utexas.edu (Wesley Felter)

I remember when you said that some Mac users think that they are somehow morally superior to Wintel users. I remember when I used to believe that myself; that our enlightened leader Steve Jobs had created Macintosh out of a desire to help mankind. Now I tend to think a computer is a computer; give me whatever does the job.

But this "my way is just better" attitude prevails even outside the platform wars. I'm having lots of trouble with my Web site; people can't get through to it reliably. But the only people who are having trouble are coming through Sprint. I can't blame them; Sprint carries something like half the world's Net traffic. But they're not doing a good enough job. And in Wired 4.10, there's a big article quoting Sean Doran as saying that he won't upgrade Sprint's backbone to use ATM, because he's got some kind of moral issue with it. He could say that if Sprint's network wasn't strained past capacity, but from where I'm looking, that's an untenable position. It's just bits, not some big philosophical issue.

Let's Have Fun -- Now!

This page was last built on Sat, Dec 14, 1996 at 8:05:29 AM. The messages in this site are responses to DaveNet essays.