Part of the DaveNet Mail website. San Francisco CA USA. 11/14/96.

Let's Have Fun -- Now! WHAT DOES :-) MEAN?

Sent:11/14/96; 12:58:50 AM
From: Dhawest@aol.com

I think it is a symbol of good will. Consider the two most common uses:

1) When it is used in connection with something that has just been written, it can mean, "there is no irony here" when irony would mean harsh intentions or criticism. However, it can also mean, "there is irony here," when the literal words would mean bad feeling.

2) When it is used alone, it almost always means, "I am suffused with good feelings."

Your column is wonderful, and one of the few things I read immediately upon opening my email.

Sincerely,

Douglas Allen

p.s. Quick bio, if you're interested: Was a lawyer with a firm in Chicago, now a math and computer science teacher at a boarding school outside Hartford, CT. I don't go online much except to get e-mail and read Suck.com. I've stopped reading Hotwired now that your column comes to my mailbox. Keep up the good work!

Let's Have Fun -- Now!

This page was last built on Sat, Dec 14, 1996 at 8:06:05 AM. The messages in this site are responses to DaveNet essays.