Part of the DaveNet Mail website. San Francisco CA USA. 11/14/96.

Let's Have Fun -- Now! MACS, RELIGION, ETC

Sent:11/14/96; 12:10:31 PM
From: Seth.Stern@ummed.edu (Seth Stern)

Dear Dave,

I've been reading your stuff for sometime now and usually enjoy it. I thought I might have something to contribute to your thinking about the Mac Arrogance phenomenon.

The Mac is more than a computer, it's an esthetic. Did you see the PBS(?) thing with the Steve Jobs interview (Accidental Empires I think). He said something like, "The folks who made the Mac were artists, writers, etc who also happened to be the best computer programers..." That pretty much sums it up. Using the Mac is an esthetic experience. Some people respond positively to that esthetic and some don't. We know who they are by their hardware. And we all know that there is no accounting for taste.

You can't tell people who are into the esthetic to stop being arrogant. That's part of the fun. Using the Mac is not an objective choice. It's a matter of taste like your choice of political party, music, clothes, car, vacation spot, etc.

As a Mac user, I continue to hope that Apple will get its collective head out of its ass at some point, and build the best computers by objective standards too.

I know it sounds silly, but the thought of using Wintel stuff is physically revolting to me. I'de sooner waste a ton of money and get an SGI, not because I need it, but to avoid the herd.

Of course, Im much more insulated from Apple's stupidity than you and other software developers. I can just shrug off their mistakes and keep hoping. It's got to be harder for you.

-seth

Let's Have Fun -- Now!

This page was last built on Sat, Dec 14, 1996 at 8:06:54 AM. The messages in this site are responses to DaveNet essays.