Part of the DaveNet Mail website. San Francisco CA USA. 12/3/96.

Let's Have Fun -- Now! 100 DISC CD PLAYERS

Sent:12/3/96; 10:20:17 AM
From: brian@proximity.com.au (Brian Murray)

Hi Dave!

I've built just what you describe! Have a look at: http://cd.mcrent.com/ There are two alternative web-based interfaces to our CD player in the house (and no, you can't actually _hear_ the audio over the 'net!)

I've got a Pioneer PDF100 (bought from FRY's no less) 100 disc audio CD player, which has a 3.5mm jack at the back to feed it infrared-compatible control signals. I've built a small 6502-compatible microcontroller board which controls the CD player, and also has a serial port connecting to my Linux box at the other end of the house. The Linux box, in turn, has a web server and a couple of Perl CGI scripts to make it all happen. The microcontroller also receives infrared signals from a Sony remote in the lounge, and echoes them to the Sony VCR and Amp, and also decodes and translates them into Pioneer CD player codes (so we only need to use one remote control). It also controls a 4-channel mains relay box, to switch on/off the video projector and some lights (and whatever we feel like plugging into it!).

I plan on describing it all more fully in some web pages soon, as well as adding more gadgets to our "FlatNet".

Shibbley Shibbley Whee!

Let's Have Fun -- Now!

This page was last built on Sat, Dec 14, 1996 at 8:13:30 AM. The messages in this site are responses to DaveNet essays.