Part of the DaveNet Mail website. San Francisco CA USA. 12/6/96.

Let's Have Fun -- Now! YOU ARE PROBABLY GOING TO GET A LOT OF EMAIL...

Sent:12/6/96; 4:40:44 PM
From: a-jackb@microsoft.com (Jack Bell (Volt Comp))

... due to your 'Does Anyone Own Syntax?' article on davenet. Some of it will be 'thumbs up' and some of it (I am sure) will be flames.

I just want to add a 'thumbs up' to your list of responses. I do not believe anyone can own syntax, 'look and feel' (so long as no copyrighted art is affected) or file formats. Hell, I am uncomfortable with the thought of software patents. Clearly some people feel differently because there have been long, drawn out, court fights on each of these subjects. In my opinion such people are quite simply greedy and/or clueless.

Yes, there is a lot of money in software. Look at where I work as an example. But the software market did not grow to its current proportions because a few companies could control everyone else. It grew because there has historically been plenty of room for competition. Competition, in general, has been good for everyone.

True, there has been a general loss of competitors in some areas of the market. In fact we have seen a few companies controlling large market segments because they no longer have any competition (once again, look at where I work). But, so long as someone else can produce a competing product that is both better and downward compatible these giant companies are still behooved to keep improving their products and customer service. When that avenue is choked off by the cost fighting lawsuits (even frivolous ones) then the big companies have no incentive to improve.

The Internet is proof that new avenues of opportunity exist beyond trying to create a better word processor (a loosing proposition today if I ever heard of one). I sure hope no-one manages to control this or other emerging markets with litigation. Better products, better support and better marketing yes. Lawyers NO!

- - Jack Bell - - My comments have nothing to do with where I work, and I am a contractor here anyway...

Let's Have Fun -- Now!

This page was last built on Sat, Dec 14, 1996 at 8:16:30 AM. The messages in this site are responses to DaveNet essays.