Part of the DaveNet Mail website. San Francisco CA USA. 12/22/96.

Let's Have Fun -- Now! RE: IT'S ABOUT INVESTMENT

Sent:12/22/96; 5:18:25 PM
From: dsherman@pixi.com (Dave Sherman)

Dave,

Recognizing that Apple is constrained by the real world, I think they struck the best deal available. I think it will be the best for users and developers, as well, although I don't know if the merger (or any solution) can blunt the Microsoft onslaught. But it's a bold effort. Some thoughts:

1. I would like my apps to crash without dragging down the OS. NeXT may get us to that point on the Apple platform quicker than any other prospect.

2. NeXT offers some presence in enterprise settings, where Apple has been getting its butt kicked for years.

3. I like Be, but I think it would have been choked if brought within the Infinite Loop. With its Power Computing deal, it should prosper after a reasonable gestation period. And I don't think the NeXT merger closes the door on implementing parts of the Be system at a later date.

4. Apple could use some press, and the return of the prodigal son is oft-used fable.

5. The preeminence of the education market will assure that Apple brings as many folks as possible to the NeXT system. Case in point: Cyberdog was going to be PowerPC only, but that would have left behind the schools. So now we have the 68K Cyberdog. I'm confident that Apple will find a way to shove as much of NeXT down to the rest of us as it can.

6. Your valid complaint that Apple puts too much faith in its own technology is addressed. By adopting a fully-formed OS (by reports, not my experience) rather than guiding the development of an emerging OS, like Be, I think you should recognize that Apple did what was unthinkable a year ago -- trashed a substantial portion of Copland to embrace an outside solution. Dec. 1996 is much different than Jan. 1996.

7. Hard times create great solutions. The near-death of Apple may have been the best medicine for aggressive innovation.

8. Apple could fail. Failure is good. Lisa was a failure. Windows 1.0 was a failure. But win or lose, I'm hopeful that this development will make our computing lives more interesting. Glorious failure is a lasting legacy.

9. I'm glad that Jobs is only an "advisor"; Amelio is providing adult supervision.

10. Apple done some things right. Without the PowerPC transition, the Mac would already be on the scrapheap. Too bad that IBM couldn't implement their side of the bargain.

11. What deal would have worked better? I can't think of one.

12. Amelio's comment that people will be using System 7 for another ten years sounds like Apple's not going to abandon us.

13. Microsoft built much of its empire on acquired code. Nice to see Apple try its hand at the strategy.

14. Hard to say whether developers will be interested in Apple. Sorta neat that Apple has acquired the tools that lead to the development of the WWW.

15. Job's investment? Like Bill Clinton, he's playing for his place in history. If this works, he'll find a way to get rich(er), and he knows it. I'm not concerned.

Enough random thoughts. I think this horse might ride. But the best part -- we really don't know.

"Uncertainty and mystery are energies of life. Don't let them scare you unduly, for they keep boredom at bay and spark creativity." -R. I. Fitzhenry

Aloha, Dave Sherman

Let's Have Fun -- Now!

This page was last built on Sun, Dec 22, 1996 at 7:26:10 PM. The messages in this site are responses to DaveNet essays.