Part of the DaveNet Mail website. San Francisco CA USA. 12/23/96.

Let's Have Fun -- Now! RE: LAME DUCK

Sent:12/23/96; 10:54:53 AM
From: howard.fore@creativeloafing.com (Howard Fore)

1. "We're moving to Microsoft's OS, not Next's." After much gnashing of teeth, I decided that while the Mac is my personal choice for an OS, my professional skills must be cross-platform in order to ensure a better future for myself. So everything that I invest significantly in has to be moving towards the future. Apple is trying to do that. Please try to grow with Apple as it and the community try to make the transition to the (N)ext OS. When Frontier hits Windows, my market gets bigger. The same could be true with a NextStep version. Is Frontier good enough for everybody or just for a non-NextStep world? I don't have the time to invest in things that aren't going to help me in the future. And a multienvironment tool is better than a single environment tool.

2. Waffling drives me up the wall. You don't like it when the national media characterize you as abandoing the Mac because you're porting to Windows. And you call for more respect of non-Mac OS's. But then you turn around and criticize everything Apple does. At least Henry Norr says, "That's good! But can you give me more?" Your pleas against things which may start a flamewar in the Frontier-Talk list taught me that the disrespect you show for a platform transfers to those that use that platform. What's it going to be?

3. Please don't follow Microsoft's book of cross platform products. Some of us still don't know why they're here. They certainly don't pay attention to the Mac market as if they have firmly decided that they are a crossplatform company. The products and features availble in the Mac side of Microsoft pale in comparison to the Windows side. This is extremely annoying and hypocritical. And sad. Sure, Windows is where they're bread is buttered. But it's not like they don't have enough money. They just decided to spend hundreds of millions of R&D. Imagine what payback they'd have if some of that was spent on making Mac products that were serious and not just bloated. WordPerfect can't do everything that Word can, but it sure is faster. (And then there's Explorer...)

Just some gut reactions...

Let's Have Fun -- Now!

This page was last built on Mon, Dec 23, 1996 at 7:50:52 AM. The messages in this site are responses to DaveNet essays.