Part of the DaveNet Mail website. San Francisco CA USA. 12/23/96.

Let's Have Fun -- Now! RE: IT STILL DOESN'T PARSE

Sent:12/23/96; 1:52:38 PM
From: mc@fivebats.com (Mike Coleman)

I have been programming the BeBox for one year. I am developing multimedia applications for Macintosh and BeBox. Despite what the Be demos imply, there is little code in the Be system to support multimedia at this time. Their Media Kit has been incomplete and virtually unchanged for a year.

The two biggest strengths to BeOS are currently the kernel and application model.

I believe that Apple has a kernel that is at least as good -- probably better, because it deals with things like 'sleep.'

The BeOS application model is wonderful, but incomplete and still tied closely to C++. It needs something like SOM before it is ready for prime time.

The Media Kit may eventually give BeOS great advantages, but for now it is no competition for QTML.

Given time (and fewer distractions) the BeOS should mature to be very competitive with the Apple/NeXT offering, but it needs to stay in the incubator for a while longer.

I will continue developing for Be and Apple. I am glad that they will remain independent.

-mc

PS: I see Apple/NeXT as troops massing for a big offensive against Microsoft's COM/ActiveX object technology. (I'm sure that is just as much of an oversimplification as saying that Jobs is just cashing out.)

Let's Have Fun -- Now!

This page was last built on Mon, Dec 23, 1996 at 2:04:38 PM. The messages in this site are responses to DaveNet essays.