Part of the DaveNet Mail website. San Francisco CA USA. 12/23/96.

Let's Have Fun -- Now! NO SYS7 SUPPORT MAKES SENSE

Sent:12/23/96; 8:19:00 PM
From: dschwarz@tiac.net (Daniel Schwarz)

Hi,

Thanks for posting your notes about the Apple press conference. Useful info for those of us who couldn't attend!

I'm not surprised that Apple is blowing off System 7 support for the first release of this new OS. Who needs the new release first & fast? Developers. I can't imagine the first release of the new OS being commercially viable for end-users, not until we build a solid base of applications. (I may be underestimating the number of NextStep applications already out there...)

I'm not thrilled that Apple picked NextStep over BeOS, but I can understand the advantages of the more mature NextStep + Mach kernel. I can only hope that Apple gives us PLENTY of information about their strategic direction, and plenty of input during the process. The January MacTech will be arriving with my copy of BeOS for Power Mac, and I fully intend to start diving into BeOS development while waiting for Apple to deliver. How about you?

Sincerely,

Dan Schwarz Brookline Software www.brooklinesw.com

Let's Have Fun -- Now!

This page was last built on Mon, Dec 23, 1996 at 5:22:28 PM. The messages in this site are responses to DaveNet essays.