Part of the DaveNet Mail website. San Francisco CA USA. 12/24/96.

Let's Have Fun -- Now! CNET APPLE NEXTSTEP ARTICLE

Sent:12/24/96; 10:18:03 AM
From: html_wizard@snet.net (J. T. Haskell)

I've been a rabid Macintosh user since 1985 and I reluctant Windows user since 3.1, so I feel qualified to offer a comment.

Emotionally, I'm with the Mac. But, I'm having more and more trouble every day with Apple's lack of a clear direction. Apple can't wait until January 7 to bring its developers on board.

This doesn't figure. What's the point of any operating system without applications.

You mentioned the Osborne. Do you remember, or have you ever heard of the Multics operating system. While Multics was a mainframe OS, it was the mother of all modern operating systems. It was the basis for Unix. Just one problem. Multics didn't have any mainsteam applications.

Apple may have the world's fastest commercial micro-processor -- the PowerPC, but it does really matter right now. What does matter is having best of breed applications.

Apple must get its act together immediately. If it doesn't, there won't be anything to pre-emptively multi-task, multi-thread or memory protect except a flood of Mac users switching to Windows NT.

Regards, Tom Haskell

Let's Have Fun -- Now!

This page was last built on Tue, Dec 24, 1996 at 7:40:12 AM. The messages in this site are responses to DaveNet essays.