Part of the DaveNet Mail website. San Francisco CA USA. 1/13/97.

Let's Have Fun -- Now! RE: COOKIES

Sent:1/13/97; 3:28:39 AM
From: johnb@wired.com (John Battelle)

Reply to: RE>Cookies

Why do Microsoft people ask you about how much time you spend writing? Because they do not grok how mere writing can in any way be an efficient use of time (unless it's writing code, of course). In essence, most Microsoft folks do not grok writing at all. And they are obsessed with efficiency. They take thier lead from Bill. Witness his quote in last week's Time about religion - an easily dismissed waste of time if you think about it only cursorily.

Asked about the subject (and whether God exists), Gates replied: "I don't have any evidence of that. I don't have any evidence of that...Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."

Your point about what writing does for you is the key: Writing is thinking, writing is communicating, writing is symbolic coding on the deepest level. I think many at Msoft see writing only for their own face value, that is, its end result is a mildly interesting column of text. They forget what the writer gets out of it, and when you forget that, your reading experience is drastically diminished.

Let's Have Fun -- Now!

This page was last built on Mon, Jan 13, 1997 at 8:13:46 AM. The messages in this site are responses to DaveNet essays.