Part of the DaveNet Mail website. San Francisco CA USA. 1/18/97.

Let's Have Fun -- Now! APPLE ANNOUNCMENTS I'D LIKE TO SEE...

Sent:1/18/97; 9:19:43 AM
From: Greg_Neagle@lamg.com (Greg Neagle)

Hi Dave. I enjoy DaveNet. I'm a tiny Mac developer, so I thought you might be interested in my thoughts... Here are some announcements I'd like to see from Apple. Many of these things have been hinted at or implied, but I'd like to see them in black and white. Together, these proposed announcements paint an exciting picture of the Apple/Next merger:

Rhapsody will be 100% OpenStep compliant. Current OpenStep applications for other platforms will need to be simply recompiled to run under Rhapsody. They may need additional work to fully take advantage of all that Rhapsody has to offer, but any OpenStep application currently shipping or under development on any other OpenStep platform will run under Rhapsody. OpenStep developers currently working on other platforms can be assured of an easy transition to Rhapsody, and of being able to easily develop applications that will run not only under Rhapsody, but any other OpenStep implementation such as OpenStep/NT.

Apple cutting prices on OpenStep development tools. As a related announcement, Apple is cutting the price of the OpenStep/NT and OpenStep/Mach for Intel developers kits so that developers can begin work today on applications for Rhapsody, with the added benefit that these same applications will run under all other OpenStep implementations. Such a cross-platform story is a big win for developers and points out a major strength of the OpenStep platform.

OpenStep for Windows95. Another related announcement: Apple is working to bring the OpenStep runtime to Windows 95. This project was originally started by NeXT, and will be completed by Apple. When complete, this will allow OpenStep applications to run on the large number of PCs running Windows 95, further adding incentive to developers to write their applications for the OpenStep platform.

WebObjects and Enterprise Objects to be brought to Rhapsody. WebObjects, Next Software's powerful solution for bringing corporate data and applications to the Web, will be available on Rhapsody when Rhapsody Premiere Release ships in January 1998. Enterprise Objects, which allows extremely powerful and flexible mutli-tiered client/server applications to be developed rapidly, will also be available on Rhapsody when the Premiere Release ships in January 1998. Existing WebObjects and Enterprise Objects applications can be redeployed on Apple hardware under Rhapsody, or customers can mix and match, easily integrating new Apple hardware with existing hardware installations due to the powerful and flexible Distributed Object technology that is part of WebObjects and Enterprise Objects. Customers can preserve their existing hardware investment, while taking advantage of the incredible price/performance ratio of Apple hardware running Rhapsody.

Rhapsody to use Mach kernel. In order to make sure Rhapsody ships in a timely fashion, and to minimize integration issues which could delay the completion of Rhapsody, Apple has decided to use the Mach kernel for at least the initial release of Rhapsody. In future releases, Apple may update or entirely change the kernel, but since OpenStep is kernel-agnostic, most applications developers should not need to be concerned with the kernel. The Mach kernel supports all the modern OS features Apple's customer and developers are demanding, and has a proven track record. In addition, use of the Mach kernel, with its Unix underpinnings, shows Apple's commitments to industry standards such as Unix - an industrial strength OS.

Let's Have Fun -- Now!

This page was last built on Sat, Jan 18, 1997 at 9:33:22 AM. The messages in this site are responses to DaveNet essays.