Why you should post short-length items on your blog.
- It's what people want. If they can read your post in a few seconds they're more likely to do so.
- You're probably posting your short items to Twitter and Facebook. That's wrong. Please, before you give your ideas to a silo, give them to the open web. Of course there's nothing wrong if you post to your blog and then re-post on Twitter and Facebook so more people see it.
- Maybe your blogging software doesn't support short items? Don't worry, if people post more short items the software will adjust.
- Not everyone can read your Facebook posts!
- Your blog allows you to add hyperlinks, style text, add subheads, give a post a title. None of this is possible on Facebook or Twitter.
I made a mistake when I changed the format of Scripting News. Before Twitter, I had lots of short items. Here's an example from 2006. I wrote as much as there was to say and no more. That's how blogging should work.
PS: Dries wrote about this on Facebook, which prompted this post.
PPS: A follow-up (short) post.