Home > Weblog Archive >  2007 >  June >  19



Tuesday, June 19, 2007 by Dave Winer.

Last night a message was posted on one of the podcasting support mail lists, observing that an opml.org directory was showing some weird content. It was pretty late, so even though I found the problem right away, I didn't fix it until this morning.  Permalink to this paragraph

It wasn't a hack job as some people thought, and I hadn't decided to monetize the directory by pointing it to some porn sites, rather it was a dangling pointer left over from a server purge in April, when I was able to turn off four of my six servers, thereby saving a bunch of money every month. The directory had been hosted on one of the machines that I turned off. The ISP reassigned the server to a new customer, who was keeping a directory of porn sites on the machine.  Permalink to this paragraph

Fixing the problem was simply a matter of redirecting the sub-domain to one of the two remaining servers and telling it to display the OPML file for the directory. Permalink to this paragraph

© Copyright 1994-2007 Dave Winer Mailto icon.

Last update: 6/19/2007; 5:48:18 PM Pacific. "It's even worse than it appears."

Click here to view blogs commenting on  RSS 2.0 feed.