My first report from the Lower East Side.
1. Big news! They removed the scaffolding from the Starbucks on Astor Place.
2. Earlier today I caught a demonstration of skateboarding on Broadway.
3. The Mud Truck is a good place to get coffee.
4. The East Village is often as loud as the West Village. But the drunks don't seem as angry, and they're quiet (or asleep) by 3AM, unlike their West Village counterparts. And they don't sound like trannies.
5. I drove my car for the first time today in a couple of months. It's very different from driving a bike. At times I found myself forgetting that. Luckily there were no bikers nearby to observe and to chastise me (as I certainly would have if I had been biking nearby Dave-the-driver).
6. My move yesterday was done by Moishe's Movers. They rolled out the red carpet for this Twitter micro-celeb. They not only packed everything, and apparently nothing is missing or broken (haven't unpacked everything yet) but helped with some of the unpacking. The price was an incredible $950 for three men, most of the day. Big thumbs up. Great service, great price.
7. I don't have my FIOS yet, so I'm using my Verizon MiFi card for local Internet access. Works pretty well.