A new service launched today called Heello that appears to be challenging Twitter, and damn it's a good thing to see.
I've signed up there as davewiner, my handle as on Twitter.
Now here's a todo list for the guys doing this software:
1. RSS in and out.
2. Relax the 140-char limit.
4. Really simple authentication, let's pop the stack back from OAuth. Make it really easy to build apps.
5. Optional titles on tweets on a per-tweet basis (makes RSS work better).
6. HTML templates, not just bitmaps.
7. The link shouldn't be part of the tweet, make it metadata, like the date and location, etc.
None of these are requirements, just obvious ways for it to work better for more users.
Update: I made another feature request. support rssCloud both ways, then it will hook into my Blork net. Really simple low-tech federations. Small pieces loosely joined, but totally realtime.