From Matt Neuberg, firstname.lastname@example.org...
16. For a good time, type mymoof(7) into QuickScript and run it. The lower
the argument the higher the speed.
15. rgb.set, rgb.get (they work like point and rectangle verbs).
14. string.isAlpha, string.isNumeric, string.isPunctuation (the other
undocumented string verbs are less likely to be needed by the user
directly: string.iso8859encode, string.parseHHTPargs,
string.processHTMLmacros, string.urldecode, string.urlencode).
13. Wrap script lines: end a line with a backslash, the next line will be
considered part of the same command.
12. Intelligent cut-and-paste: if you copy out of an outline to another app
or any non-outline type, tabs are inserted to show indentation, and
semi-colons and curly braces are inserted in all the right places (this is
all done automatically by string coercion!), and if you copy something
formatted that way into a script it all comes out right again (this is
supplemented by scripts like suites.toys.listToOutline and outlineToList).
11. Find next instance of already selected text: shift-command-G.
10. Jump again to the last jumped-to place, without bringing up the Jump
9. Get syntax of a visible verb: control-option-double-click the verb.
8. semaphores.lock(nameString, ticksNumber) and
semaphores.unlock(nameString) -- and watch out, don't say "semaphore" by
7. There is an implicit "with" to everything in system.compiler at any
depth, preceding all other "with"s explicit or implicit.
6. parentOf (name) -- the argument is not a string but the name of an
address. This is a much more useful function than you might suppose because
it helps debug address "with"s, implicit and explicit.
5. MacBird. The verbs are the same as the documented cardeditor.xxx verbs,
except that they are card.xxx verbs, and except that there are a few
additions, namely: card.run, card.runfromFile, card.close; card.isModal;
card.Memavail; and the card.popup.xxx verbs, namely getCheckedItem,
getHasLabel, getMenu, getSelectedText and their corresponding sets. Oh, one
more thing; all MacBird scripts have an implicit "with" to the associated
table, and furthermore button scripts -- but **not** assocated table
scripts -- have implicit access to locals in the script that called
card.run in the first place.
4. system.verbs.builtins.date is full of undocumented date conversion and
3. Just about everything in system.extensions is undocumented (these are
2. There are numerous valuable utility and model scripts squirrelled away
in suites.toys and suites.samples.basicstuff -- save time, don't reinvent
And the absolute top number one most important undocumented feature:
1. Syntax of the "on" keyword and of handler calls: optional arguments are
indicated by assigning default values in the declaration; they can then be
omitted at calling time, or one or more can be included by
colon-assignment. Like this:
on add(x, y=0, z=0)
now you can call with e.g. add(3), add(3, 4), add(3,z:5)
© Copyright 1996-97 UserLand Software. This page was last built on 5/7/97; 1:51:17 PM.
It was originally posted on 2/26/97; 6:43:04 AM.
Internet service provided by Conxion.